The UK's work accident specialists, We are dedicated in providing specialist free legal advice and assistance for those who have suffered from a accident at work .
24 Hours a day0800 073 8803
Open 24 hours a day 7 days a week

Reporting Accidents at Work is a Desideratum in the UK

The importance of health and safety at work has enhanced in the United Kingdom in the recent years. The government is serious about implementing new measures and rules to ensure health and safety at work. According to the UK government, the health and safety laws will help in reducing the number of work accidents. The government has urged the health and safety consultants to help the employers and the business owners of the nation to take care of the health and safety of their workers at work. The government has invested the health and safety consultants with the duty to conduct thorough risk assessments at work sites. They are also endowed with the responsibility to introduce training programs, perform health and safety audits and work process inspections. The service of the health and safety consultants is accident at workimportant since they use their in-depth knowledge and expertise to ensure health and safety of the workers in an organization. In spite of all these precautions, if an accident at work takes place, the affected employee must bring the incident into the notice of the employer. The employer would then report the accident to Health and Safety Executive.

A work- related accident can occur at anytime and they usually happen with prior intimation. A work accident or death can prove to be a source of great harassment for the employer and his organization. If the incident can occurred due to the negligence of the employer and the carelessness on part of the employer is proved in the court, the employer and his company might be prosecuted and fined. On the other hand, the employer who has been affected by the accident might suffer due to excruciating physical and emotional pain and, in worst instances, might become disabled for life. True that the physical and psychological sufferings cannot be taken away but the financial loss suffered due to the mishap can be recompensed by informing the employer about the incident and filing a work accident compensation case against him. Whether a minor wound or a serious injury, a nominal fracture or a work-related death, the instances of work accidents need to be brought into the notice of the employers.

According to the UK work accident law, an accident at work should be registered with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) which will provide you with an official form to fill in the details of the work accident. You should describe the accident as an industrial injury in the form provided by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Registering the incident with the DWP will assist you with the future work accident benefit claims if you suffer from disability or serious health problems in future due to the incident.

Reporting a work accident to the Health and Executive is a part of the duty of the employers running their businesses in the United Kingdom.  It is, in fact, a legal necessity to report the workplace mishaps under the RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995). If an employer tries to hide an accident at work and does not report it to the Health and Safety Executive, it will be treat as an offence under the UK law.

Now, the question is when should be inform the Health and Safety Executive about a work-related accident? You should bring the accident into the notice of the HSE as soon as possible after the occurrence. Whether you are an employer, or somebody controlling of a work premises, it is your accident at work claimresponsibility to report major injuries, minor wounds and deaths to the HSE. No matter how minor your injury is, if the injury have caused more than 7 day sufferings and kept you out of work for more than 7 days, you can record the incident in the accident record book of your company.

As far as reporting of work accidents are concerned, you can report all the mishaps, except the incidents of work-related deaths and highly serious injuries, online. In order to report your work-related accident online, you need to visit the official website of the Health and Safety Executive to find the online form. In case of highly serious work accidents and deaths, you need to contact the Incident Contact Center and notify the enforcing authority about the incident without delay. If you are the victim of an accident that has caused suffering for more than 7 days, you should get in touch with the enforcing authority and register the incident with 15 days of the event. The cases concerning industrial diseases need to be notified as soon as the physician diagnoses it and the diseases have all the symptoms to come under the category of reportable workplace disease.

If an employee requires time off due to a work-related injury, he is entitled to receive Statutory Sick Pay. Depending on the intensity of your suffering, you might be able to demand benefits t enhance your income when you are out of work due to a workplace accident. To cite an example, if you are subjected to a serious industrial ailment and are unable to go to the workplace due to the pain and suffering caused by the disease, you might claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

The victim of a worksite accident has the liberty to file a work accident claim if the accident is the consequence of the employer’s negligence. The affected worker can seek legal assistance from a solicitor to file a work accident compensation claim to demand the financial losses suffered by him due to the occurrence. A professional solicitor who has successfully dealt with a number of work accident compensation cases has the knowledge and expertise to gather necessary documents and establish the fault of the employer in causing the accident. Getting the services of a reputable lawyer definitely improves the chances of winning handsome worksite accident compensation. However, if the victim plans to file claim, he should get the help of a solicitor and start the process within three years of the accident.

No related posts.

Tags: ,

Comments are closed.